Remember the Denver storm that hit a month ago? Actually if you live in Denver you will probably not forget it for a long time. The storm pummeled cars and homes and at this point it looks like it may end up as the costliest storm ever recorded in Colorado – according to colleagues in the insurance industry.
KUSA-TV reported that the Denver storm is slated to be the worst catastrophe in the state. Hail damage led to an estimated 50,000 homeowners insurance claims filed in addition to 150,000 auto insurance claims. According to the Rocky Mountain Insurance Association, estimated preliminary losses could top $1.4 billion – exceeding Denver’s costliest storm in 2009 which came in at $850 million – and that is after costs are adjusted to reflect the current dollar.
Needless to say that for those with car damage that will be repaired or replaced – life will go on as usual pretty quickly. But for those with home damage – the roofing or siding repair process is going to take time. Insurance claims need to be filed and contractors need to be scheduled.
Do Not Become a Victim of Disaster Fraud
Since there are more damaged homes than roofing repair contractors, storm chasing companies will be flocking to Colorado to get in on the action. That may not necessarily be a bad thing – since homeowners will be taken care of. However there are less than reputable companies that take advantage of people during a disaster going door-to-door offering clean up or repair services pocketing a deposit without completing the job, or if they do the quality is less than the homeowner’s expectations.
The Rocky Mountain Insurance Association posted some good tips on protecting yourself from becoming a victim of disaster fraud.
They recommend hiring a local contractor and checking with the Home Builder’s Association Better Business Bureau or your local Chamber for reference. Check that the company is licensed and most importantly they have insurance coverage.
I have included the Association’s contractor checklist as a resource.
- Get more than one estimate. Don’t be pushed into signing a contract right away.
- Get everything in writing. Cost, work to be done, materials, time schedule, guarantees, payment schedule and other expectations should be detailed.
- Demand references and check them out.
- Ask to see the salesperson’s driver’s license and write down the license number and license plate number.
- Ask for proof that the contractor is bonded, carries liability insurance, and covers his/her workers with workers compensation insurance.
- The contractor’s business card should have a verifiable street address and office phone number.
- Never sign a contract with blanks; unacceptable terms can be added later.
- Never pay a contractor in full or sign a completion certificate until the work is finished. Request a lien waiver indicating the contractor has paid its subcontractors and suppliers.
- Insurance coverage may be rendered void if intentional misrepresentation by a policyholder is discovered.
If you believe you have been approached by an unlicensed contractor or adjuster, or have been encouraged to fabricate an insurance claim, contact your insurance company or call the National Insurance Crime Bureau Hotline at 1-800-TEL-NICB (1-800-835-6422).
Northern Colorado Roofing Contractors
If you have questions or concerns about roofing repairs call Wood Street Builders. Our family-owned company is your trusted local roofing and remodeling contractor.
We have been serving the Northern Colorado (Fort Collins, Windsor, Longmont, Loveland, Berthoud, Greeley) area since 2012. We work with insurance companies and know the process to assess the damage and submit a claim so that it is stress-free for the homeowner. We will repair immediate damage affecting the integrity of the roof – until the claim is approved. Wood Street Builder’s professional installers use the highest quality products on the market – while working within budget – and they get the job done right and on schedule
We offer free estimates, free inspections, have a trustworthy client base. Our team of professionals are there when you need us. Don’t wait for minor damage to affect the entire home. Contact us today!
Wood Street Builders – Born Here – Raised Here – Roofing Here.